Curtain Catastrophe

Lest you think I only talk about gardening and chickens, I want you to know that the Fraudulent Farmgirl embraces many, many subjects, among which interior decoration ranks pretty highly. Those who have seen my house will inform  you that I am allergic to beige, I get bored easily, and I do not believe in buying what I can make more cheaply.

All of these are true.
So it seemed like a good time to make some new bedroom curtains. I love the ones I currently have, which I made from white fabric embroidered with bright pink and blue flowers. They are fun and girly and quite cool. But I thought for winter I'd try long curtains, with the hope that they might block a little more of the cold. I perused two different Joann's fabric stores before settling on a pretty, quite subdued and country-vintage pattern of blue and green (bouquets of flowers? blueberry shrubs?) on a very light yellow. I planned to back them with flannel to improve their possible insulation value. The fabric was marked down to $3 a yard, and I bought all they had. (The flannel was about $5 a yard. As a side note, full-length curtains require at least an extra yard or two per window over the curtain length I tend to make. I've made A LOT of roman shades.)
I spent today watching the inaugural proceedings (so amazing–insert your own hyperbole here) while cutting and pinning. It's a long process, you know. You have to wash and dry the fabric, iron it, cut it out, pin it, sew it, spend two hours figuring out how long the tabs should be and how many of them you should use. Note: when you cut out the tabs, make sure you're cutting them from the scrap fabric and not one of the panels you were planning to use for the curtain.
Oh yes. I got one curtain finished, only to realize I had destroyed the other curtain panel by cutting the tabs from it. I ran to the fabric store hoping they had more, only to remember once there that I had purchased all they had. And as this was not a fabric I had seen at the other Joann's, I was screwed.
Oh, well. I have a very nice curtain for the remodeled bathroom. Or if Ginny hates it, I'll hang it in the laundry room.
But as I was feeling a strong need to have new curtains, and that right quick, I bought more fabric (brown toile on cream this time). It is currently in the dryer. Tomorrow, I will get these curtains done, and then I will post pictures. When I cut out the pieces, I will ensure that the cut pieces are placed somewhere far away from the work area. 
Measure twice, cut once. But make sure you're cutting the right fabric. 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

Fraudulent Farmgirl
I teach garden and homesteading skills—the stuff your great-grandmother knew how to do. But if there's a faster, cheaper, or easier way to do it, I'll find it!By day, I design earth-friendly gardens for Spotts Garden Service. By night, I don my Wellies to become the Fraudulent Farmgirl. On my small urban homestead, I've ripped out the front lawn to plant vegetables and fruit trees, turned the garage into a chicken coop and grown enough strawberries to feed half the neighborhood.

1 Comment

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *